Friday, September 25, 2015

Flower My Pedi Please - And I'll Take Those Shoes, What a Deal - Scooter Girl Gets Some Pre-Op Glam

Ready for Dancing in these
Flower my Pedi Please!

A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!  You've been told you will not be able to walk for 6 weeks and that you will be in recovery for 6-12 months after surgery, what does that girl gotta do?  

She has to go the day before surgery and invest in an amazing pedicure. 

Nothing completes a girly girl like a bright pink pedi with a pretty flower painted on top.  


Even though I could not sit properly in the pedi
massage chair due to my swollen and damaged hamstring, I managed to sit cockeyed through the procedure while a very nice lady at our local salon took care of my soon to be bed ridden feet.  Being that it was summer and I would find myself indoors for a while, I opted for a very bright shade of hot pink and had her top it off with a daisy hand painted on each large toe.  While I didn't know if it would be allowed to stay on during surgery, It is up to your anesthesiologist, I took a chance and was relieved to find my pretty pink toes staring up at me post-operatively. A little bright spot through my pain wincing eyes.   

This post is simply to bring a little lightheartedness into the story of Scooter Girl's Proximal Hamstring Rupture repair.  


Trying on just for fun paired with compression sock
I have to say that I was very happy with my decision to take care of this pre-surgery pampering.  I have enjoyed glancing at my feet at times while laying down for all hours of the day. It somehow brings the feminine to a place that, much of the time, seems dull and boring.


Girls - Take Care of Yourselves!

I'll Take Those Shoes, What a Deal!

Part two of this post, Ladies?  You know how every now and then you stumble upon a pair of shoes?  You know the ones, high end designer, the last pair on the discount rack?  You do the double take, that glance, which makes you flush with instant recognition that they were just waiting for you and only you, then the hesitation, "what if they don't fit?"


These are the ones!  Magnificent!
A week before my surgery I was out with my husband, niece and grand niece.  He needed a pair of work shoes so the four of us launched out towards one of our favorite shoe stores.  As I hobbled about in discomfort, holding onto the day as a token of a day out before my long recovery and housebound days would keep me inside, unable to sit and unable to stand and walk unaided for many weeks, I ambled to the discount rack.  I had been hoping to spot a pair of shoes for my niece as a gift, however, there, in a perfect brown box atop the little velvet bag and baggie of two extra heels was THAT pair of shoes.  $250.00 Ellie Tahari kiwi and cream stiletto sandals.  I knew in an instant they were for me.  At a half size too small according to the box, I snagged the box off the shelf in such a way that wreaked of sneaky, looking over my shoulder in hopes that no one else was trying to dive in at the same time. I strode over to a little bench, reached down through my pain and put those little kiwi sandals on my feet.  They were a perfect fit!  I stood in them, wobbly leg, "she has conquered."  I watched as my husband made his way over to me, standing tall, proclaiming, "THESE SHOES SHALL BE MY MOTIVATION TO DANCE AGAIN AND BE WHOLE!"
$19.99.  Now all I needed was that pedi and I was ready to be cut open and face what was coming next.


Ladies - Take Care of Yourselves!

New Pedi added 9-26-15 with yellow sunflower
I could finally sit for it.
It helps to feel girly and fresh in my cocoon




2 comments:

  1. Truly a post for the ladies. The day before surgery you get a pedicure? I was making sure I had loaded my latest and greatest music on my phone and that I understood as well as possible what insurance was going to pay/not pay and whether there was enough room on the credit card to pay the $3500.00 deductible. Also, was strategizing caffeine consumption so i wouldn't get an afternoon headache from no coffee in the morning. Getting a pedicure and buying highheels when your hamstring is gone - too funny, but that is why we need Scooter Girl to bring in this "different", but all important perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had already done my insurance stuff for the most part beginning with the documents I had already accumulated from the MRI and first two doctor appointments to help come to the conclusion that there was such an urgent injury. I guess I saved the good stuff for the bitter end. The stuff that made me feel like me. The uninjured everyday me. I updated the end of this blog just now with my new pedi pic, I cannot reach my right foot yet, along with Longo, my constant companion..more on him in a later post. You mean, Gutpatch, you didn't want a pedi? Men and Women are so different in these ways. Thank you for reading my post GP.

    ReplyDelete